According to Gartner, 20% of the new workloads on the System z in the last year use Linux on z. While the majority of the workloads are still focused on file, print and email, some early adopters are using z/Linux for mission critical type solutions and are saving millions of dollars in the process. Just ask Buzz Woeckener at Nationwide Insurance.
Of 6,000 x86 servers, Buzz was able to migrate 1,900 to one IBM System z9 using virtualization and Linux
- 20 plus mission critical applications including Nationwide.com, Agency portal and absence management ASP
- 543 Virtual Linux Servers running on TWO IBM System z boxes (one is backup)
- 100,000 active daily users
$15M savings over three years
- 50% reduction in web hosting monthly costs
- 80% reduction in data center floor space
- 50% reduction in hardware and OS support effort
- 85% - 90% avg CPU utilization
Feel free to use these numbers to help jump start a Linux on z initiative in your environment.